The Mathematics program at the University of Maine at Farmington equips students for lives and careers involving the tools of mathematics. You will develop the skills of abstract thinking, analysis and synthesis by studying in such areas as calculus, linear and abstract algebra, logic, probability and statistics. For a full description, visit the UMF catalog.
How do I explore Mathematics at UMF?
There are many ways to explore a major. You could:
- Review the webpage for this major.
- Talk to faculty members in the major. Ask about their career path.
- Sit in on a class in this major. Choose a class of interest and contact the faculty member to find out which day might be best to drop in on. If you have access to myCampus, click here to go to Schedule Planner to view classes.
- Talk with upperclass students in the major. They can give you insights into the courses you will take and professors who will instruct you. Just remember, their reasons for liking a major may be different from your own. Ask your advisor, your CA or other UMF staff to help you find someone in the major.
- Enroll in one of the following courses:
- MAT 141M Calculus I
- MAT 142 Calculus II
- MAT 151M Mathematical Proof
- COS 140 Introduction to Computer Science
- Get involved with a Club & Organization related to the major (for example, Computer Club).
- Volunteer or intern with an organization that is aligned with this major. Contact Meghan Price at The Partnership for Civic Engagement, or Career Counselors Stephen Davis or Cyndi McShane to discuss opportunities.
- Try a Job Shadow or Informational Interview. Contact Stephen Davis or Cyndi McShane for more information.
- Make an appointment to talk to a Career Counselor (Steve or Cyndi) or Academic Advisor (Lori Soucie) about the major.
What can I do with this major?
Learn more about the major using this resource maintained by the University of North Carolina at Wilmington: http://www.uncw.edu/career/WhatCanIDoWithaMajorIn.html
Can I minor in Mathematics? Are there related majors at UMF?
What kind of jobs have UMF graduates obtained with this major?
Product Manager, Vice President of Analytic Products, Inventory Support Specialist, Applied Research Mathematician, Disability Benefits Specialist, Director of Operations, Financial Analyst Manager, Fraud Analyst, Business owner, System/Network Manager, Classroom Teacher, Associate Operations Engineer at L.L. Bean, Risk Analyst, IT Manager, Contracting Specialist, Drafting Specialist, Auditor, Senior Implementation Consultant, Mechanical Engineer, Coordinator of International Transportation, Director of Global Network Operations for Liberty Mutual, Contracting Specialist at Massachusetts Air National Guard, Business Analyst, Principal, and others.
What other career paths can I pursue?
Other career paths include Statistician, Actuary, Engineer, Math Teacher, Technical Educator, and many more. Talking to faculty in the major or a career counselor can provide you with more information about a variety of career paths associated with this major.
How to I declare this major?
The first step is to communicate with the contact person for this major: Dr. Allen Bailey, Brinkman House, firstname.lastname@example.org, 207-778-7245.
To apply to the major, complete a change of major form (available in Merrill Center or any academic office).