We understand that it can be tough to support a son or daughter who is undecided and indecisive about selecting a college major. Here are some tips from our advisors:
- Don’t pressure your student to declare a major if they are unsure. Programs for undeclared students provide a supportive academic environment where students can complete requirements while learning about their interests.
- Try to help your student to define his/her interests or goals for college.
- Encourage your student to meet with his/her academic advisor, the program coordinator, or a career counselor.
- Suggest that he/she participate in clubs, organizations, or intramural sports in areas of interests.
- Encourage the use of personality tests and other forms of self-assessment from our Exploration and Self-Assessment page.
- Reassure your student that this is a process and it takes time. When undeclared students select a major, they do so with a lot of knowledge about their choice and the satisfaction that they have made a good choice.