- “Tell me about yourself.” Keep your answer in the professional realm only. Review your past positions, your education, and any other strengths that pertain to the job.
- “What do you know about the organization?” If you’ve done your homework, you should have no problem describing what the organization does, what clients are served/services provided, areas of operation, etc. Be positive in describing the organization.
- “Why are you interested in this position?” Relate how your qualifications match the job’s requirements. If the position represents a step up from your current position, explain how you are seeking professional growth, new challenges, and the opportunity to acquire new skills. Focus on what is desirable about the position for which you’re applying, rather than what is undesirable about the position you have.
- “What have been your most significant career accomplishments to date?” Describe work-related projects you initiated or spear-headed and how these projects improved service to clients, efficiency, productivity, morale, etc.
- “Describe a situation in which your work was criticized.” Focus on how you responded to criticism constructively, i.e. improved performance, quality of service, etc. Speak respectfully about the person who delivered the criticism, and explain how you view the meeting (in which the criticism was made) as a learning experience and opportunity for professional growth.
Other Questions You Might Be Asked
Always remain positive, speak respectfully about colleagues and supervisors, and cite brief, specific examples from your employment history to support what you say about yourself.
- “How do you perform under pressure?”
- “What have you done to improve yourself professionally over the past year?”
- “What did you like most/least about your last position?”
- “What strengths do you bring to this position?”
- “What is your ideal working environment?”
- “What’s the first thing you like to do when given a new project?”
- “Have you ever fired anyone? What was the situation, and how did you handle it?”
- “What are your career/professional goals?”
- “Where do you see yourself in two years?”
- “Why are you the right person for this position?”