Looking to get out there and make connections? Network!
Networking – the word itself can stress students out. In reality, though, building your professional network can be a positive, enjoyable experience. Network is relationship building through professsional connections, and college is a great time to learn and perfect this skill to make yourself career ready.
Nervous about networking? Check out these helpful resources:
- Networking 101
- Networking for Introverts
- 6 Strategies that Guarantee People Will Remember Meeting You
Once you feel ready to start a conversation, it’s time to look for Maine networking events. UMF Career Services hosts a number of events that can get you started. Check out our events page for information on our career and employment fairs and our College to Career Symposium and Networking Event. You can also speak with a Career Counselor to get prepared.
Off campus, start searching through local newspapers and online; check out this list below to get started:
- Green Drinks – a monthly networking event for those in the (or interested in the) environmental field. Currently hosted in six Maine areas: Biddeford, Bangor, Lewiston-Auburn, Portland, Rockland and Waterville.
- The Maine State Chamber of Commerce – connect with state-wide and locally oriented Chamber of Commerce events through this webpage.
- PROPEL Maine networking events – An organization dedicated to connecting with Maine’s youth on and offline.
- Mainebiz’s events calendar – a catch-all for business related events in Maine.
- Maine Women’s Network – devoted to professional development for the women of Maine.
- Uplift LA – Uplift LA works to strengthen a vibrant rising professional community by promoting career, social, and community development.
Know of a professional network that should be added to this list? Email the website to Cyndi McShane, UMF Career Counselor, to be added to the list at firstname.lastname@example.org