Application for teacher certification requires submission of your final transcript to the Maine Dept. of Education; therefore, students cannot apply for teacher certification until after student teaching (or final course work for degree is completed). After student teaching or final course work for degree is completed, professors have a window of time to submit final grades to the Registrar’s Office, and Registrar’s Office personnel require some time to prepare transcripts. Consult with personnel in the Registrar’s Office about when final transcripts will be available. Once final transcripts are available, students applying for teacher certification should follow the steps below.
- Complete the online Fingerprint Registration Form if you have not been fingerprinted by the Maine State Police for the background check required of all teachers in Maine. For an approved process of having your fingerprints taken outside of Maine, call the Maine Department of Education Certification Office at 207-624-6603.
- Complete the Request for Academic Transcript Form and send it to Transcripts, University of Maine at Farmington, 224 Main Street, Farmington, ME 04938, or visit the Registrar’s Office (first floor Merrill Hall) to request an official transcript in person. An official transcript is enclosed in a sealed envelope. Do not open the envelope. (Once opened the transcript is unofficial and unacceptable to the Maine Department of Education in the application for certification process.)
- Download the Initial Teacher Certification Application Form from the Maine Department of Education (Form EFC-300-I REV 2/09). If you have questions about how to complete the Initial Teacher Certification Application Form, call the Maine Department of Education Certification Office at 207-624-6603.
- Complete and sign the Initial Teacher Certification Application Form. Then mail it to the State of Maine Dept. of Education, Certification Office, 23 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0023 along with your official (sealed) transcript, a non-refundable check made payable to the Treasurer-State of Maine, and scores from your PRAXIS exams (only if they were not reported directly to the Maine Dept. of Education Certification Office at the time of testing). If you don’t know whether or not you requested that copies of your score reports were sent to the Maine Dept. of Education’s Certification Office at the time of testing, call the Maine Department of Education Certification Office at 207-624-6603.
- Once you have submitted your application for certification, you may check the status of your application with the Maine Department of Education by calling 207-624-6603.
- If you are eligible, you will receive a two-year probationary certificate with an endorsement in your subject area in approximately 8 to 10 weeks. If you are not eligible, the certification office will notify you of the requirements you are lacking.
- See the Department of Education’s FAQ page for information related to certification.