Updated April 8, 2014
NOTE: The information below is being provided by the UMF Fitness & Recreation Center for UMF employees. Employees from other campuses should refer to the UMS Benefits Office website at:
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
All UMS employees are eligible for free membership to UMS fitness facilities until June 30, 2015 regardless of whether or not they have insurance through the UMS (once their respective labor contract has been executed).
Eligible employee bargaining units currently approved and eligible for unlimited visits for employees & family members on employee’s insurance are:
- AFUM (faculty)
- COLT (ASCUM)
- UMPSA (salaried)
- Teamsters (service and maintenance)
- FOP (police)
Spouse/partner and/or dependents only qualify if they are part of the employee’s insurance plan.
Dependents qualify up to age 26 only if they are on the employee’s insurance plan.>
Employee memberships will be considered perpetual (for purposes of entering memberships into the FRC membership software – RecTrac) with a June 30, 2015 expiration date, coinciding with the end of the contracts. If contracts are renewed by that date with same language then employee memberships would simply continue. If contract language changes then memberships would be cancelled and/or changed in accordance with new contract language.
Membership for spouse/partner and dependents will be discontinued if/when they are no longer on the employee’s insurance (ex. a dependent has turned age 26).
HOW TO GET SET UP WITH A MEMBERSHIP
- Stop into the HR office in Merrill Hall (see Lisa Turner)
- A voucher for the FRC will be issued, with name and indication of type of membership (i.e. individual, couple, or family), along with an FRC risk & release form
- Couple membership is defined as member + spouse/partner OR member + dependent child under the age of 26 and on the employees insurance
- Family membership is defined as member + spouse/partner AND dependent children all living in the same household, under the age of 26 and on the employees insurance
- Employee brings voucher & release form to the FRC front desk where a membership is set up. Scan cards will be provided if needed. For those with “family” plans, the employee will indicate who the dependents are that are on the insurance plan; they will be entered as part of the family membership in the FRC computer system; and signed risk & release forms collected for each member.
- Employee keeps voucher as it is good for use at other UMS fitness facilities
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Payroll deduction – if an employee is currently doing payroll deduction and wishes to stop, they simply need to contact Lisa Turner in HR. She will stop the payroll deduction and notify the FRC about the cancellation.
- Payroll deduction for spouse/partner or dependent– An employee will be allowed to do payroll deduction for a spouse/partner and/or dependent(s) that are not on your health insurance at the FRC “employee” rate. The employee must indicate who the payroll deduction is for on the payroll deduction form available at the FRC.
- Tax Deductible donation to the FRC – In lieu of the fact that employees now receive free fitness center memberships and that the FRC does not get reimbursed for this lost revenue, some have asked if they can still do payroll deduction and make a donation the FRC. The answer is yes. Specific payroll deduction forms are available for this purpose at the FRC that recognize the employee’s donation as a gift and therefore tax deductible. You simply enter the amount you wish to deduct each pay period.
- Reimbursement on prepaid membership – If an employee has purchased a membership outright (not through payroll deduction) and wishes to cancel it, the employee needs to contact the FRC and the FRC will either reimburse the employee the prorated balance of the membership amount or put a credit on the employees account.
- Adding a spouse/partner or dependent(s) who ARE on UMS Health Insurance – Employees may add their spouse/partner and any legal dependents aged 0-26 to their membership as long as they are included on the employee’s UMS health insurance plan.
- Adding a spouse/partner or dependent(s) who are NOT on UMS Health Insurance – If an employee has a spouse/partner or dependent(s) that are not on the employee’s insurance plan and they wish add them may join at the employee rate even if they themselves are not employees. This is done at the FRC. The employee is required to be present at the time of membership purchase. The employee can choose to do payroll deduction for that spouse/partner or dependent if they choose.
- FRC member benefits – Unfortunately this free unlimited voucher program for fitness center access will not qualify employees for various member discounts typically provided to paying members. The FRC does not get reimbursed for employee memberships. Examples include reduced registration fees for some programs such as swim lessons, after school program, Red Cross course fees, etc. It also will affect the FRC “guest of a member” rate for employees. (i.e. this rate will be the regular $7 fee for a guest as opposed to the $4).
- Change in eligibility – If an employee is terminated, HR will include removing the employee from the FRC membership as part of the employee termination form.
- Terminated or retired employees – Terminated or retired employees are not eligible for vouchers.
- Wellness hours – Vouchers cannot be used in conjunction with wellness hours (paid time off for wellness activities per union contract). Vouchers can only be used outside normal work schedule.
- RiseUp Points – Vouchers will not automatically be tied to RiseUp activity points. However, folks can enter activity points themselves on the RiseUp website.