Our next lifeguard course is being planned for January 2015. Please check back after the 1st of the new year.
Lifeguard Training Course: Blended Learning
Tuesday – Thursday, August 26, 27, & 28, 2014
9am-6pm each day
Fee: $35 (*see registration direction) + FRC Members: $165/ non-members $205
Through a combination of online course work (~7.5 hours) and in-person skills work (~22 hours), participants will become certified as American Red Cross Lifeguards.
On-line course work must be completed prior to Monday, August 25, at 5pm. Participants must bring a copy of their completed on-line course work certificate to the first day of class. The online course work is estimated to take between 7 and 8 hours to complete.
Under the new curriculum released by the American Red Cross, Lifeguard participants will be trained to prepare, prevent and respond to emergencies in and around the water. Successful completion of the course will gain participants a 2-year certification in American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
To enter the course candidates must be 15 years old by the last day of the course and pass the following pre-course swimming skills:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates will place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a time event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
Free skills evaluation available. Participants are encourage to have their skills assessed prior to the pre-course, held on the first day. Once registered and paid in full, participants will receive 2 visit passes to practice build their endurance in the water and practice pre-course skills. To arrange a skills evaluation, please contact the Jennifer, Aquatic Director at 778-7437 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Register: 2 steps
Step 1: Register for the on-line course work directly with the American Red Cross
• CUT and PASTE the following link into a browser (chrome is not suggested). https://classes.redcross.org/R/class000000004648085/19104108720 (if it does not open, copy and paste the URL into your browser).
• If you do not already have an account, you will need to create one – click the “New User” link and complete the information for the account – please make note of your username and password for future access to the online content.
• The next step will be to click “Confirm.”
• You will be asked to select a Payment. From the drop-down menu, select Credit Card as the method of payment. Enter your credit card information and click “Submit”.
• You are now enrolled. You may launch the content immediately by clicking the “Go To My Enrollments” button, then click the “Launch” link next to the appropriate course. Or, you may log in at a later time.
• To log in at a later time:
1. Click http://classes.redcross.org
2. Enter your username and password.
3. Go to the “My Learning” tab and the “My Enrollments” page will be displayed.
4. Select the “Launch” link for the appropriate course to view and take the content.
If you need assistance accessing the online session, please contact the American Red Cross Training Support Center at 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Step 2: Register directly with the Fitness and Recreation Center
Registration Code & Section: 260103B
Complete a registration and submit with payment to:
152 Quebec St.
Farmington, ME 04938
No refunds are given for the on-line course portion, unless the course is cancelled.
Participants who do not pass the pre-course skill work will be refunded only the fee paid to the FRC.
Participants who fail or withdraw from the course are not eligible for a refund.
Contact Jennifer at email@example.com or 778-7437