Lifeguard Review w/ Optional Waterfront Course
This course is for those who currently hold a certification. Optional Waterfront participants should add 4 hours of class time.
- Fri. – Sun. March 31, April 1 & 2 10a-5pm (registration code: 260104 A)
- Fri. – Sun. May 19-21 5/19 4p-7:30, 5/20 & 21 10a-5pm (registration code: 260104 B) **** Offered in a blended learning format. Participants must complete 8 hrs of on-line course work prior to May 17th. Link available after April 30, 2017
UMF Fitness & Recreation Center Members: $130/ non-members $160
****Through a combination of online course work (~7.5 hours) and in-person skills work (~13hours), participants will become re-certified as American Red Cross Lifeguards. All online course work must be completed 2 business days prior to the start of the in-person course. Participants must bring a copy of their completed online course work certificate to the first day of class. The online course work is estimated to take between 7 and 8 hours to complete.
Lifeguard participants will be trained to prepare, prevent and respond to emergencies in and around the water. Successful completion of the course will gain participants a 2-year certification in American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
To enter the course candidates must hold a current lifeguard certification (expired no more then 30 days) and pass the following pre-course swimming skills on the first day of class:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates will place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
A free skills evaluation is available.
Participants are encouraged to have their skills assessed prior to the pre-course, held on the first day. Once registered and paid in full, participants will receive 2 visit passes to practice build their endurance in the water and practice pre-course skills
To arrange a free skills evaluation, contact Jennifer Pageot, below.
Registration Form (pdf)
Send the completed registration form to Jennifer Pageot at the address (or via email ) at the bottom of the page.
Course fee, minus $50, will be returned for participants who are not eligible for the course by not passing the pre-course skill work. Participants who do not meet the overall course requirements or withdraw from the course on or after the first day, are not eligible for a refund.
Contact Jennifer Pageot, below.
For Aquatics / Pool info, contact:
Assistant Director, Fitness & Recreation Center
Aquatic, Health and Safety Educator