Lifeguard Review Course: Blended Learning
* This course is for those that currently hold a certification or no more then 30 days expired
1: Saturdays, April 11 & 18 9am-4pm
Step 1 Registration link: https://classes.redcross.org/R/class000000004958870/19104108720
Step 2 Registration Code: 260104 A
2: Saturday & Sunday, May 2 & 3 9am-4pm
Step 1 Registration link: https://classes.redcross.org/R/class000000004957617/19104108720
Step 2 Registration Code: 260104 B
3: Saturday & Sunday, May 30 & 31 9am-4pm
Step 1 Registration link: https://classes.redcross.org/R/class000000004959150/19104108720
Step 2 Registration Code: 260104 C
Fee: $27 (*see registration direction) + FRC Members: $130/ non-members $160
Through a combination of online course work (~7.5 hours) and in-person skills work (~13hours), participants will become re-certified as American Red Cross Lifeguards.
On-line course work must be completed 2 business days prior to the start of the course. Participants must bring a copy of their completed on-line course work certificate to the first day of class. The online course work is estimated to take between 7 and 8 hours to complete.
Lifeguard participants will be trained to prepare, prevent and respond to emergencies in and around the water. Successful completion of the course will gain participants a 2-year certification in American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
To enter the course candidates must hold a current lifeguard certification and pass the following pre-course swimming skills on the first day of class:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates will place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a time event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
Free skills evaluation available. Participants are encourage to have their skills assessed prior to the pre-course, held on the first day. Once registered and paid in full, participants will receive 2 visit passes to practice build their endurance in the water and practice pre-course skills. To arrange a skills evaluation, please contact the Jennifer, Aquatic Director at 778-7437 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Register: 2 steps total
Step 1: Register for the on-line course work directly with the American Red Cross
• CUT and PASTE the following link into a browser (chrome is not suggested). If it does not open, copy and paste the URL into your browser.
• If you do not already have an account, you will need to create one – click the “New User” link and complete the information for the account – please make note of your username and password for future access to the online content.
• The next step will be to click “Confirm.”
• You will be asked to select a Payment. From the drop-down menu, select Credit Card as the method of payment. Enter your credit card information and click “Submit”.
• You are now enrolled. You may launch the content immediately by clicking the “Go To My Enrollments” button, then click the “Launch” link next to the appropriate course. Or, you may log in at a later time.
• To log in at a later time:
1. Click http://classes.redcross.org
2. Enter your username and password.
3. Go to the “My Learning” tab and the “My Enrollments” page will be displayed.
4. Select the “Launch” link for the appropriate course to view and take the content.
If you need assistance accessing the online session, please contact the American Red Cross Training Support Center at 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Step 2: Register directly with the Fitness and Recreation Center
Complete a registration and submit with payment to:
152 Quebec St.
Farmington, ME 04938
No refunds are given for the on-line course portion, unless the course is cancelled.
Participants who do not pass the pre-course skill work will be refunded only the fee paid to the FRC.
Participants who do not meet course requirements or withdraw from the course on or after the first day, are not eligible for a refund.
Contact Jennifer at email@example.com or 778-7437