Lifeguard Instructor (LGI)
- 9a-6p Wednesday – Friday March 20 – March 22 Registration Code: 260105 A
- 9a-6p Wednesday – Friday May 29 – May 31 Registration Code: 260105 B
UMF Fitness & Recreation Center Members: $325 / Non-Members: $400
<<<<<<Campus Housing Available for the May course only per night: Single room, shared living space: $35 w/out bedding, $45 w/bedding. To arrange e-mail housing at: email@example.com >>>>>>>
Special Registration Information
All registrations go through the Aquatic Director, Jennifer Pageot. Space is limited.
A minimum of 4 candidates must be registered five (5) business days prior to the start of the course.
To enroll, each candidate must provide:
- Proof of age (17 years old on or before the last day of the instructor course) by driver’s license, state identification card, birth certificate, passport or other government-issued photo identification.
- Proof of current certifications in Lifeguard Training, which includes CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First aid. Candidates must demonstrate pre-course skills in alignment with the r.17 Lifeguard program. A lifeguard review course is offered Feb 17 & 18 with registration of the LGI course, the fee is $38. Taking this course is recommended to ensure your skills are up to the standard and take a course with an instructor mindset.
- Successfully complete online orientation prior to the first day of the course. Online course work is sent to candidates once registration with Jennifer has occurred. The 2.5 hours orientation to the Red Cross and 4-5 hours orientation to the Lifeguard Instructor Course must be completed 2 business days prior to the start of the course.
- Successfully complete prerequisite Rescue Skill Scenarios:
Candidate will be expected to demonstrate victim recognition; emergency action plan (EAP) activation, including communicating with other lifeguards; successful rescue using appropriate skills; and follow-up emergency care, as needed. Participants must demonstrate the skills reflected in the r.11 Lifeguard program.
Skills that will be evaluated:
- CPR- adult, child, infant
- BVM use
- AED- adult, child
- Ventilations- adult, child, infant
- Primary assessment- adult, child, infant
- Entries into water
- Approaches to victim
- Submerged victim rescue
- Removal from water using backboard
All online course work must be completed 2 business days prior to the start of the in-person course. Participants must bring a copy of their completed online course work certificate to the first day of class. The online course work is estimated to take between 7 and 8 hours to complete.
Instructor Course Registration Form (pdf) Registration Code: 260105 A
Send the completed registration form to Jennifer Pageot at the address (or via email ) at the bottom of the page.
Course completion certificates will be awarded to instructor candidates who successfully complete the pre-course session, attended every class session, successful perform all practice-teaching assignments and past the final written exam with a score of 80 percent or higher (correctly answer at least 40 of 50 questions). Candidates must also demonstrate maturity and responsibility throughout the course.
Medical Conditions or Disabilities:
Course work will include physical exercise. If you have a medical condition or disability or if you have any questions about your ability to participant fully in this course, discuss them with your physician or health-care provider and with Jennifer Pageot before the start of the course.
Withdrawing from the course after registration and prior to 10 days of course start dates, course fee minus $50 will be returned.
Course fee, minus $50, will be returned for candidates who are not eligible for the course by not passing the pre-course skill work.
Candidates who do not meet the overall course requirements or withdraw from the course on or within 10 day of the first day, are not eligible for a refund.
Contact Jennifer Pageot, below.
Assistant Director, Fitness & Recreation Center
Manager of Aquatics & Program Supervisor
office tel 207-778-7437
UMF Fitness & Recreation Center
University of Maine at Farmington
152 Quebec Street
Farmington, ME 04938
Front desk tel 207-778-7495