Lifeguard Training w/ Waterfront Option
Participants will be trained to prepare, prevent and respond to emergencies in and around the water. Successful completion of the course will gain participants a 2-year certification in American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
2017 Course offerings!
- Mon. – Fri. February 20 – 24, 2017 10a-5pm (registration code: 260103 A) ** Will run if at least 4 participant pass the pre-course in Monday, 2/20. Please attend if interested.
- Monday – Thursday May 22 – 25 9a-6:30p (registration code: 260103 B)
- Saturdays, May 27 – June 24 10a-5p (registration code: 260103 C)
A minimum of 4 registered participants is required two business days prior to the first class.
Complete the registration form below and submit it to the UMF Fitness & Recreation Center, along with full payment.
Registration Form (pdf)
To enter the course candidates must be 15 years old by the last day of the course and pass the following pre-course swimming skills:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a time event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
UMF students and UMF Fitness & Recreation Center Members: $200/ Non-Members $240
Course fee, minus $50, will be returned for candidates who are not eligible for the course by not passing the pre-course skill work. Participants who do not meet the overall course requirements or withdraw from the course on or after the first day, are not eligible for a refund.
A free skills evaluation is available.
Participants are encouraged to have their skills assessed prior to the pre-course, held on the first day. Once registered and paid in full, participants will receive 2 visit passes to practice build their endurance in the water and practice pre-course skills
To arrange a free skills evaluation, contact Jennifer Pageot, below.
What to expect:
The pre-course skill check is completed at the start of the first day. Participants should check in at the FRC front desk then head to the pool deck, prepared to swim.
Note: Days are long and participants will be most successful arriving to class with a well-rested mind and body. Lunch breaks are given each day, 45 min- 1 hour. Participants should bring: 2 bathing suits and towels, snacks, water bottle and lunch plans.
Contact Jennifer Pageot, below.
For Aquatics / Pool info, contact:
Assistant Director, Fitness & Recreation Center
Aquatic, Health and Safety Educator