FRC Reopening Information
FRC to Reopen on Wednesday, August 12
Dear UMF and Farmington communities,
It is with great pleasure that we are able to announce that the FRC will once again open its doors to both the UMF and broader communities on Wednesday, August 12. It has been a long nearly five months of shutdown for us, and we can’t wait to see you back at the FRC.
As with so much of life these days, the FRC is not able to simply revert back to the way things used to be pre-pandemic. There are a host of factors that will change a great many things about the way we operate. First and foremost among those factors are the safety of FRC patrons and staff. Other factors include staffing availability, state regulations, UMaine system guidelines, and fiscal realities.
Below is outlined the important information that students, faculty/staff, and members should be aware of prior to coming to the FRC. We have tried to anticipate and answer most of the questions you may have about our reopening, but there are sure to be some we didn’t think to cover. Should you have questions that aren’t answered below, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following areas and programs are open:
- Strength and cardio areas
- Group fitness
- Personal training (1:1 only)
- Mainely Outdoors gear rental
The following areas and programs will not open in this initial phase:
- Locker room/showers
- Basketball courts
- Cradles and Crayons
- After School Program
In order for anyone – employee, student, faculty/staff, member – to access the facility, they will be subject to the following screening requirements:
- Must be wearing a face covering that properly covers the nose and mouth. Face shields without a mask will not be permitted. Neck gaiters will not be permitted. Face coverings will be required at all times while in the facility.
- Must not have visited a location within the past 14 days that is subject to Maine state quarantine requirements.
- Must not have been in close contact within the past 14 days with a person known to have COVID-19. Close contact is defined as within six feet for at least 15 minutes.
- Must not currently have any of the following symptoms: fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday: 6am-1pm, 3pm-8pm
Please note that these hours of operation will continually be reevaluated, and that we will expand them as we are able and permitted.
The FRC will be the UMF COVID-19 testing site for students returning to campus this fall. Consequently, the FRC will be closed on the following days to accommodate that testing:
- Tuesday, August 18
- Monday, August 24
- Tuesday, September 1
What to Expect
In addition to screening patrons prior to entry, the following safety measures and protocols will also be in place:
- Face coverings that cover the nose and mouth will be required at all times while in the FRC. Face shields will only be permitted if a face covering is also worn.
- All equipment will be spaced at least 6’ apart. Whenever possible, equipment will be spaced 15’ apart.
- All exercise equipment, once wiped down by the user, will be sprayed with disinfectant and taken offline for 5 minutes to ensure that any virus that may exist on the equipment is killed off effectively.
- Restrooms and high-touch surfaces will be disinfected at least every 2 hours.
- The FRC will close each day between 1-3pm so that we may perform a more thorough cleaning.
- Patrons will be expected to maintain 6’ physical distance from other patrons and FRC staff members at all times.
- All balls, bands, mats, etc. must be checked out. FRC staff will disinfect appropriately prior to returning items into circulation. Equipment checkout and return will take place in the fieldhouse.
- The track will only be used for access to the courts, and is not available for running/walking. Track direction will be clockwise at all times. This will require patrons leaving courts 1, 2, and 3 to exit the court on the far side of the fieldhouse and walk past the pool windows to access the lobby.
- Group fitness classes will take place on court 1.
- Patrons must receive expressed permission from a professional staff member to enter their office.