Below are some Frequently Asked Questions about the University of Maine at Farmington M.S.Ed. in Early Childhood Program

Q: What is blended course delivery?

Blended course delivery involves multiple course delivery methods, including:

  • Courses with a 2-3 day in-person session with the remainder of the course on-line
  • Courses that meet in-person up to 3 times a semester combined with on-line work
  • Classes that are 100% on-line but may require synchronous meetings

Q: How do I get started?

Review the Program Summary

Click here to begin the application process.

Q: When are applications reviewed?

Admission decisions, based on completed applications, are made on a rolling basis. Once the enrollment cap is reached, applications will be considered for the next available term.

Q: Is there an entrance exam?

There is no entrance exam.

Q: How long will it take me to complete the Master’s degree?

This program offers students the choice of completing their master’s course of study in a two- or four-year cycle.

In the two-year cycle, students will take 2 courses per semester for six consecutive semesters (summer, spring, and fall).

In the four-year cyclestudents will take 1 course per semester for twelve consecutive semesters.

Q: Is it possible to take a course without being accepted into the graduate degree program?

Yes. However, students who are already admitted to the program are given preference.

 Q: Are transfer courses accepted in this graduate degree program?

Up to 9 credit hours of relevant graduate credit may be accepted. Only one 3-credit graduate course may be applied to the core course requirements. All transfer courses are reviewed for approval by the faculty and the Director of Graduate Programs in Education. Courses presented for transfer must meet the following criteria:

  • Content is appropriate as judged by the faculty
  • Course was completed within 5 years of applying to the program
  • Credit was granted at an accredited higher education institution
  • A grade of B (3.0) or better was awarded

Q: What are the program costs and graduate tuition and fee costs for this program? 

Click here for more financial information 

Q: Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is available to graduate students in the MS Ed. program in the form of private source student loans. Please visit the UMF Financial Aid Office website or contact the UMF Financial Aid Office or 207.778.7100 for more information.

If you are a UMF graduate, you are eligible to apply for the Elizabeth Sturtevant Gorvine Scholarship. The Elizabeth Sturtevant Gorvine Scholarship fund provides for a scholarship to be awarded to a graduate of UMF who is pursuing graduate study in the field of home economics including, but not limited to, home economics education and / or administration; education, with a concentration in home economics; occupational and vocational education; nutrition and dietetics; child development and family relations; textiles, apparel, and design; housing and home management; consumer studies. Contact the UMF Ferro Alumni Center directly if you are interested.

 Q: What are the computer requirements for the program?

For a successful technology experience, we recommend that you use a computer running Windows XP or newer with a modern processor (less than 5 years old), or a Mac computer with an Intel processor running System 10.4 or later.  You also need:

  • A High-Speed Internet connection. Broadband Internet access will be regularly necessary for some activities. If you do not have access in your home, you should make arrangements to use another location or an on-campus UMF computer lab.
  •  A Web browser. Firefox version 3.0 or higher or MS Internet Explorer version 7.0 or higher is recommended.
  • A word processing program that can save files in different formats. A recent version of MS Office (2007 or higher) is recommended. If you don’t currently have a copy, a student discounted version may be obtained through the Computer Connection on the University of Maine (Orono) campus.

Q: What about background checks?

Most courses require some direct contact with children, through observations, projects, and/or research. It is the responsibility of the student to have a clear Maine Dept. of Health and Human Services Child Abuse and Neglect Record and a clear Maine State Bureau of Identification Criminal History Check prior to registering for any course which requires direct contact with children. Course instructors will provide details about required documentation.

Q: Will I have access to a library?

After you obtain your University of Maine at Farmington student ID Card, you will receive an all-access card to UMF’s Mantor Library. This will give you access to a variety of information and library services including libraries at each University of Maine System campus, the Maine State Library, the University College Off-Campus Library Service, and the State Law Library. Requests for materials through Off-Campus Library Services can be mailed to you.

Q: Are there other resources I will have access to?
Yes, click here for a list of useful resources.