UMF geology student researches Yellowstone supervolcano with the National Science Foundation

UMF student Bryce Neal at Mckenzie Pass in the Oregon Cascades.

UMF student Bryce Neal

What volcanic secrets are hidden beneath Yellowstone National Park and how does a University of Maine at Farmington student get the opportunity to investigate them? According to the Sun Journal, Bryce Neal, UMF senior from New Gloucester and a geology major spent the past summer with a team of researchers with the National Science Foundation’s competitive Research Experiences for Undergraduates program measuring Yellowstone’s magma chambers and super-heated water located in the Earth’s upper crust. The Yellowstone research was led by Adam Schultz, Oregon State University professor of geology and geophysics, and hosted by OSU’s College of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences. “This was a terrific opportunity for me as I headed into my senior year,” said Neal. “UMF’s geology program has a huge field component. And with that experience in hand, I felt prepared for the field research in Yellowstone and for where it would take me.”

Sun Journal