On-campus Jobs

If you are an F-1  or J-1 student you are allowed to work  on-campus.  During the fall and spring semester you may work up to 20 hours per week.  During the winter and summer break you may work up to 40 hours. You may request the required work authorization letter from the Office of Global Education.

Off-campus Jobs

Whether you are an F-1 or J-1 student, off-campus employment must be integral to your program of study and you must obtain special permission from the Office of Global Education, and in some cases the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.  Some applications for work authorization take 2-3 months to approve so it is important to begin the process early.

F-1 Student Options

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT may be granted for an off-campus internship or independent study that is an integral part of an established curriculum.  You must earn academic credit for your  CPT work experience and it is available only prior to the completion of your degree program.  You must have a job offer at the time of application and your academic adviser must approve it as a qualifying academic experience.  CPT employment may not delay completion of the academic program.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is  temporary employment directly related to a student’s field of study usually done after graduation.  During OPT, a student remains in F-1 status.  Your application is made through OIP and forwarded on to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).  USCIS will issue an Employment Authorization Document (EAD or OPT card) which grants authorization to accept relevant employment.

Special Reporting Requirements for Students on OPT

Students who are on OPT must report certain information to the OIP, such as current residential address, current employer name and address, dates of employment or unemployment, changes in name, and changes in immigration status.  Students on OPT can report that information here.

J-1 Student Options

Academic Training (AT)

Academic Training may be granted to J-1 students who would like to pursue a practical training experience in their field either during or after studies.  Your academic adviser must recommend the training experience and provide documentation to the Office of Global Education regarding the employer, number of hours, suitability of employment, etc.

Employment Resources


To explore employment opportunities on campus please visit the Student Employment website.  Please note that international students are not eligible to accept any positions designated as “Work-Study”.

Off-campus (authorization required)

The University of Maine at Farmington’s Center for Student Development (CSD) is an excellent place to search for jobs and internships.  The CSD also has many other important resources such as career counseling, resume writing workshops, and  programs to connect you with UMF alumni working in your field. Be sure to  check out Going Global, a search engine which offers access to international career resources including world-wide job openings, internship listings, industry profiles, and country-specific career information.

Taxes for International Students/Scholars

Filing your 2019 Federal Tax Return

If you were present in the US for any part of 2019 you are required to file a tax form with the US Internal Revenue Service.  ALL students are required to file a form even if no income is earned.  Please read the information below carefully so that you can determine the correct action for your personal circumstances.

It’s easy!  The Office of Global Education has arranged access to Sprintax Tax Preparation (tax software), which will guide you through the tax preparation process and prepare the necessary documents for you.  There is a small fee ($20) for the Federal tax forms.  Additional fees apply for students who need to file a State return or any other additional documents (most students do not need to file a State return).

Sprintax User Codes will be available for purchase from UMF Global Education until February 21, only. See purchase instructions below.


To get started:

  1. Go to Sprintax.com and “Register” if you are a new user, or “Log in” if you have used Sprintax before.
  2. Enter all your personal information relating to your name, address, passport, dates of entry and departure.  Once this information is entered one or more of the following will occur:
    • Sprintax will determine that you are a NON-Resident for tax filing purposes and will allow you to continue using Sprintax to prepare your tax return.
    • Sprintax will determine that you only need to file the Form 8843. The regular fee to file only this form through Sprintax is $15.95.
    • Sprintax will determine that you need to file both the Form 8843 and the 1040NR. The regular fee to file these two forms in Sprintax is $37.95. You may purchase a discount Sprintax User Code ($20) through UMF at this point. Purchase a Sprintax User Code from UMF Global Education.  NOTE: Sprintax user codes will be available for purchase at this link until February 21, only. User Codes will be distributed February 27. IMPORTANT: Do not purchase the discount code if you only need to file Form 8843, as that fee is less than the discount code fee.
    • Sprintax will determine that you meet the substantial presence test and must file as a RESIDENT for tax purposes.  You will NOT be able to use the Sprintax software to prepare your tax forms.  Please see resources for filing as RESIDENT below.
  3. Once you have entered ALL information into Sprintax the software will prepare your Federal tax forms.
  4.  Enter your Sprintax User Code and the Sprintax fee of $37.95 will be removed from your bill.
  5. PRINT, SIGN and MAIL your documents once you complete the preparation process in Sprintax.  Sprintax will provide very detailed instructions on how to properly file. If you owe money to the Internal Revenue Service, you will be able to pay online using a credit card.

NOTE: Additional fees apply for supplemental documents and State income tax forms. If you must file any of these, there will be an option to pay Sprintax directly for those using a credit card.

Sprintax is an easy‐to‐use tax prep software, designed to guide you through the tax preparation process and assist you in filing your annual tax return.  Similar to Turbo Tax, it is designed specifically to help international students and scholars.

  How do you use it?   Watch a short video!

Resources for Filing as a Resident

If you are a Resident for tax purposes you are taxed the same as a U.S. citizen on worldwide income. You should not request a Sprintax access code, but you may use the free tax software provided by the IRS.   You can also use Turbo Tax or other commercial software that is designed to prepare tax returns for US citizens.  You may also want to seek help or advice from a tax preparation expert.   You will likely be filing one of the following tax forms:

Form 1040- US Individual Income Tax Return

Form 1040- Instructions

Form 1040-EZ

Form 1040-EZ – Instructions


NOTE: The UMF Office of Global Education does not employ tax professionals and therefore, cannot assist you with determining which forms you must file or completing and filing the actual forms.