U.S. tax laws can be complex and confusing and the laws that apply to internationals are not the same as those that apply to U.S. citizens. These resources should help you to better understand your tax obligation and to successfully submit your required tax form(s).

Do I need to file a tax return?

All international students and scholars on F-1, F-2, J-1 or J-2 visas who were in the U.S. during 2016 must file an annual federal tax form(s), even if you did not earn any income. 

Which forms do I use?

*If you received no U.S. income in 2016 and you are a non-resident for tax purposes you must file Form 8843 by June 1, 2017. 

Completed Sample 8843 Form

*If you received wages or a taxable scholarship and you are a non-resident you must file Form 8843 AND either Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR by April 17, 2017.  (Most students will be able to use the EZ form. Sprintax will help you figure this out or you should check with the IRS or a local tax professional)

Instructions Form 1040NR-EZ

Instructions Form 1040NR

If you are ONLY filing form 8843because you earned no incomewe recommend you complete the paper version on your own, using the Completed Sample 8843 as a reference.  No SSN or taxpayer ID needed


Where Can I Get HELP With Filing My Taxes? 

Sprintax is an easy‐to‐use tax prep software, designed to guide you through the tax preparation process and assist you in filing your annual tax return.  Similar to Turbo Tax, it is designed specifically to help international students and scholars.

  How do you use it?   Watch a short video!

1. Register

2. Complete the online questionnaire.

3. Let Sprintax prepare your tax return and check if you are due a refund.

4. You MUST PRINT out your tax return and mail it. You cannot submit it electronically (be sure to save a copy for your records.)