Congratulations!! Now that you have been accepted into an approved UMF or Provider Study/Intern/Teach Abroad Program, you will begin the pre-departure process. All students must complete the UMF Pre-Departure paperwork. In addition, students participating in a provider program will complete pre-departure processes as required by their program provider, many of which may occur online.
Download the Study/Intern Abroad OR Student Teach Abroad Pre-Departure Packet from myCampus, UMF Tools, Forms & Documents, Study Away (folder) ***When printing these forms it is best if you DO NOT print back to back as a packet, as some forms are single page and others are multiple pages. Printing back to back will result in pages with incorrect back sides!
Submission deadlines for completed pre-departure paperwork are as follows: April 30 (for Summer and Fall programs) and December 1 (for Spring programs).
- Medical and Consent/Emergency Contact Form – requires you to visit the UMF Student Health Center. Be sure to schedule that appointment soon to allow ample time for your health visit and submission of your signed form.
- Credit Approval Form (Study/Intern only)– if you have questions about this form, please schedule an appointment with the Office of International Programs to go over the form. In fact, most students meet with our office BEFORE meeting with individual faculty/chairs so that we can offer suggestions and connect you with the correct faculty/chair for approval. We can also meet with small groups of students as schedules allow. It is VERY IMPORTANT that this form be completed appropriately with all approval signatures to ensure adequate posting of your study abroad grades upon completion. Not required for Student Teaching Abroad.
- Verification of Enrollment for Study Abroad – is to be taken with you and submitted electronically, once you have officially been registered for courses in your host country. Do not submit prior to departure. Not required for Student Teaching Abroad.
Program Provider Pre-Departure
Forward your program provider email acceptance to the Office of International Programs. Pay your confirmation and housing deposits directly to the program provider. Complete online procedures and mail any additional required documents. Some forms can be faxed and you can make arrangements with the study abroad office to accomplish this. Other forms may require our office to complete information and provide approval signature. Allow ample time to meet all pre-departure deadlines.
As a UMF study/intern/teach abroad participant, you are required to attend the mandatory pre-departure meeting, which takes place the semester prior to your program. For meeting date, time and location, refer to your UMF acceptance email or contact the Office of Global Education.
It is expected that you will review the Study/Teach Pre-Departure Guide and read the article Why You Should Pack Your Bags Half-Full PRIOR to the mandatory Pre-Departure Meeting. Bring your questions with you to the meeting so that we can have an informed discussion.
This guide will provide you with important information relating to study abroad such as administrative tasks, health and safety, communication and money and banking.
Mandatory International Travel Insurance
All students participating in a UMF Direct Exchange study abroad program or the South Korea or Hong Kong Student Teaching Abroad programs MUST purchase International Travel Insurance through the Office of Global Education. The date of your U.S. Departure will be required in order to enroll you in this insurance. The price of the insurance is $100. Students participating in Provider Study/Intern/Teach Abroad programs will be insured through the Provider and will not need to purchase the insurance through UMF.
The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service for U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll/register their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
All UMF Students participating in study/inter/teach abroad programs are REQUIRED to Create an Account and Enroll a Trip in STEP, registering with the US Embassy in their host country, and provide confirmation of registration to our office. This is not a recommendation, but a requirement.
Visit this website to process your registration https://step.state.gov/step/. It is a quick and simple process. You will need your passport with you in order to register, as well as specific dates of your program and the city(ies) and country(ies) you will study in. Detailed instructions are below.
- Create an Account – complete the Traveler Information and Emergency Contact Information and click Finish
- Add Trip/Residence Abroad – add your specific trip information: location, dates and nearest US Consulate/Embassy (drop down list). Use your current cell phone number for now. Once you have your local address abroad, you will need to go back and Add Trip/Residence Abroad and enter this information for your residence. Also, be sure to update any changes in trip dates.
- Click on Profile Info tab in top left corner. This screen will show your name, email, phone, emergency contact and the Existing Trips you have registered (locations/dates).
- Take a screen shot of this page and submit it electronically to email@example.com.
Click Here for a Sample of what your screen shot should look like.
Note: If you travel outside your study/intern/teach abroad host country during your program, be sure to go back into your account and Add Trip/Residence Abroad and update with new details.
What are the benefits of enrollment?
* Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
* Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
* Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
UMF Study/Intern/Teach Abroad Facebook Group
You will be sent an invitation to join this closed group for students participating during this current academic year and upcoming summer. Please be sure to JOIN the group right away. Important updates will be posted through the Facebook group. You are also invited and encouraged to post photos and blog links to the group.
In the event of a natural disaster, political upheaval, terrorist attack or other emergency around the world, we will also reach out to you through this group to quickly verify your safety and provide any additional information or instructions as necessary.