When day and evening classes are canceled, the library will be closed. Staff members are granted administrative leave and do not have to report for work.
The week before finals and the week of finals, the library will remain open from 10am-4:30pm, regardless of campus closure. It will be staffed by students, with a designated student shift leader in charge. The head of circulation will arrange for this coverage in advance, in case of a campus closure.
When classes are canceled after the library has opened for the day, the library will close at the same time as campus. Staff members are granted administrative leave and may go home at that time.
When the campus opens late, but classes are not canceled for the whole day, daytime staff should report for work 15 minutes before campus opens. (Anyone opening should report 25 minutes early to allow time for opening the building.) The building will unlock 15 minutes before campus opens. Students should report for work at their regularly scheduled time.
- Staff members will leave a phone or email message at least one hour before campus opens to let others know if they cannot make it in, or need to arrive later than the scheduled opening.
- If day classes are canceled but evening classes are held, evening staff and student workers will report to work at the regularly scheduled time or 15 minutes before campus opens.
On the weekend, the library director may close the library based on prevailing conditions and contact the head of circulation and HR.
- The head of circulation will notify students of this decision no later than one hour before the start of a shift.
- If students have concerns about conditions and have not heard from the head of circulation, or if they cannot make it in, they should contact the head of circulation at home. If the head cannot be reached, they should contact the director.
On the weekend, after the library has opened for the day, if a situation indicates closure of the library, the student shift leader on duty will contact the director or head of circulation to confer about closing.
- If the director cannot be reached, the student shift leader is authorized to make the decision to close, based on prevailing conditions.
- If the library closes, the student shift leader will contact security and the switchboard to convey the information.
During periods of extreme emergency, if there is imminent danger to staff or patrons, the library should be closed immediately without regard to the above procedures. All patrons should be cleared from the building before the staff leaves.
If administrative leave is declared when the college is not in session (such as during winter or spring break), the library will not open and staff do not have to report in.
NOTE: Whenever regular library hours are altered because of weather or other unforeseen conditions, every effort should be made to put a message on the library’s incoming phone (7210) indicating that the library is closed and providing, if possible, information about when it will reopen.
Additionally, when the library closes unexpectedly over the weekend, the director will notify HR so they can be aware if admin leave listed on time sheets is correct.