University of Maine System Adult Degree Completion Scholarship
Maine adults who want to return to college may qualify for as much as $4,000 per year in scholarships for up to four years with the Adult Degree Completion Scholarship Fund started in 2014 by the University of Maine System.
The System’s find aims to help Maine people complete their academic studies—many adults started their university education years ago, but did not complete a degree program for some reason, likely due to family or work obligations.
The scholarships are for adult students returning to a University of Maine System institution after an absence of three years or more, and who are completing their very first baccalaureate degree. Courses may be taken at any of the seven universities in Maine.
In addition, a new “Navigator” service has been established to guide students to assist adult students. The university navigators, based in 15 Maine communities, will help adult students achieve their educational goals through activities such as applying to a university, choosing a major, finding financial assistance, and registering for courses.
Applications for Spring 2020 are currently being accepted and will be reviewed after the deadline of December 1st, 2019. The online application may be found here. Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to qualify for the scholarship:
- Must be a matriculated student at a UMS institution seeking a first baccalaureate degree.
- Must be a resident of the state of Maine.
- Must be an undergraduate reentry student who has experienced a gap (three years or more) in the pursuit of postsecondary education prior to application.
- Must demonstrate financial need as determined by a completed FAFSA and/or statement outlining ability to pay/financial resources available for education.
- Must be registered at least part time: 6‐8 credits per semester.
- Must have earned at least 30 credits toward their undergraduate degree.
For more information about the program, please visit the adult student website at: http://www.maine.edu/future-students/adult-students/