||Upward Bound Intern
||Look House, University of Maine at Farmington
|Period of Engagement:
||Available each Academic Year (Fall-Spring Semesters)
||Unpaid; any associated travel expenses incurred by the interns will be reimbursed.
|Description of the Internship:
|The Upward Bound Program at UMF began in 1980 and is aimed at helping high school students from 14 target schools in west central Maine. The program’s goal is to provide students with the skills and motivation needed for entrance to, and success in, higher education. Upward Bound operates year round and provides services such as academic support, college admission assistance, career counseling, community service and cultural activities.
It is anticipated that the fall and spring semester interns will work 8 to 15 hours per week. Summer internships are full-time positions.
|Upward Bound seeks to meet the needs, interests and strengths of its interns. Accordingly, the following is a list of possible responsibilities:
- Communicate with Upward Bound participants regularly.
- Be available to students via email for support and positive role modeling.
- Visit Upward Bound participants in the Target Schools (Fall and Spring Semester only).
- Maintain Upward Bound website, posting new events, photographs, and updates.
- Plan monthly activities for Upward Bound participants.
- Attend monthly staff meetings and weekly check-in meetings with supervisor.
- Write and print monthly Looking Up newsletter for Upward Bound participants.
- Write and print quarterly Senior News publication for participants.
- Help recruit prospective participants by giving presentations at Target Schools.
- Create and publish summer memory book (Fall Semester only).
- Write press releases for major events.
- Assist in the planning of the summer program
- Interest in working with low-income adolescents necessary
- Experience working with high school students is preferred
- Reliable vehicle needed for visits to students at target schools during the academic year.
- Valid driver’s license with no moving violations within the past two years preferred for summer internships.