Employer: Rustic Roots Farm
Internship Number: 558
Internship Title: Farm and Project Intern(s)
Location: Farmington, Maine
Period of Engagement: Each Summer
Compensation: Unpaid, but receive share of produce from the Farm
 Description of the Internship:
Rustic Roots Farm is a small scale farm producing organically grown mixed vegetables. The goal of the farm is to build an all-inclusive community of people who are excited about knowing their farmer, buying local, and eating healthy food. Last year the farm grew over 35 different types of produce with over 80 varieties represented.

Rustic Roots Farm is seeking 1-2 interns during the summer to learn about local food production and to work on specialized projects related to tracking farm yields and profitability. The internship(s) will start in mid-May and run through the end of August. Interns will receive produced from the farm for the duration of their internship.  The schedule for the internship is as follows:

Monday – 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Wednesday – 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Friday – 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

For more information about the farm, visit our website at: http://www.rusticrootsfarm.org/

Responsibilities:

The Farm and Project Intern(s) responsibilities will include learning about food production by working alongside the farmer to complete farm tasks such as transplanting, greenhouse planting, weeding, harvesting, etc. approximately 70% of the time and working on a specialized project during the remaining 30% of their time.

Potential specialized projects could include:

  • Tracking harvest yields using software to determine crop profitability
  • Tracking labor inputs to determine crop profitability
  • Compost production

Rustic Roots is open to interns proposing their own specialized project to match their interests.

Qualifications:

  • Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing weather, customer needs, and farmer needs is a must
  • Interest in local foods, farming techniques, and/or sustainability
  • Previous farming or gardening experience a plus
Application Process:
Application is made through UMF’s Partnership for Civic Advancement.
Complete and submit the Internship Application Form online.
Return to the Internship Opportunities Listing