||A Family Affair of Maine
||Event Management Assistant
||New Gloucester, Maine
|Period of Engagement:
|Description of the Internship:
|We believe that no matter the event you are trying to plan, the process should begin with inspiration and end with a feeling of accomplishment and joy. Whether it’s a simple dinner party with friends and family or a large corporate open house, we want the process to be as stress-free as possible for you, putting value and budget first on the list. We pour our hearts into every event and Client that we work with, helping you to compose treasured moments in time with the people who mean the most to you. We offer some or all of the following services to our Clients, and because each and every event is unique, so is each package.
For more information on A Family Affair of Maine, please visit their website at: http://www.afamilyaffairmaine.com/
|The Event Management Assistant Intern will be expected to help with aspects leading up to—and most importantly —the wedding/event. Whether it’s doing behind-the-scenes office work, running the ceremony rehearsal, setting up escort cards, directing the wedding party, or making sure the ceremony runs according to schedule, the Assistant should be able to handle it all while keeping a genuine smile on their face.
Duties that the Event Management Assistant is responsible for during an event include the following:
- Assisting with and overseeing the correct set-up of the ceremony and reception site(s).
- Assisting the Lead Planner and event host throughout the course of the event.
- Being available to wedding guests/attendees to answer their questions and assist them as needed (i.e. gentleman spills sauce on his jacket, lady spills red wine on her skirt/shoes, someone is feeling ill and needs attention, etc.).
- Directing guests to appropriate areas as needed throughout the event (i.e. washroom, exits, parking, bar, etc.).
- Assisting vendors with their set-up by being close at hand to answer questions with regards to product placement.
- Being a resource to the Lead Planner with regards to what’s happening next in the schedule.
- Overseeing and assisting with set up and tear down of wedding decor items (linens, charger plates, escort cards, place cards, favors, chair covers, etc.).
- Maintaining the schedule and coordinating the time line for all special events throughout the reception.
|Qualifications, skills and educational requirements include:
- Previous work experience in hospitality or wedding industries (i.e. catering coordinator, server, concierge, retail, etc.)
- Computer skills a must; literate in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Microsoft Office.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle.
- Availability on weekends, as well as some weekdays.
Preferred skills include:
The perfect applicant will have a flexible schedule, be familiar with the Maine area with access to personal transportation, and be extremely detail-oriented. The ability to take direction well and think quickly on their feet is an absolute must, as well as top-notch organizational and communicative skills. An upbeat personality and sense of humor are necessary; graphic design and tech skills are a plus.
Qualities required of an Event Management Assistant include the following:
- Creativity and ability to think quickly on your feet is crucial. Being able to come up with possible solutions to any given situation (i.e. bride forgets her bouquet in the limo, bride about to walk down the aisle & her hairdo falls apart, etc.)
- Ability to work independently… as well as in a team! We believe we all must lead by example.
- Ability to seamlessly and effectively prioritize multiple tasks at one time
- You must be able to take initiative: to see a problem, make a decision about what might be done about it, and then follow through and solve the problem!
- High energy, resourceful, strong, & not afraid to “get your hands dirty” – we at A Family Affair of Maine are “doers”, not “pointers”!
- Guest oriented & Friendly; good eye contact, poised posture, etc.
- Must have a sunny disposition and know how to “turn it on” in public
- Driven to excel in the area of event and wedding planning
- Professional appearance; proper grooming, well dressed, chic hair, make-up, etc.
- Ability to work a varied schedule, typically weekends (Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday) for as little as 6 hours and as many as 12.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
|Application is made through UMF’s Partnership for Civic Advancement.
|Complete and submit the Partnership’s Internship Application Form online.
|Return to the Internship Opportunities Listing