||United Way of the Tri-Valley Area
||Social and Digital Media Coordinator Internship
|Period of Engagement:
||To be determined by supervisor based on academic requirements and availability.
|Description of the Internship:
|United Way is a nonprofit organization that partners with 50 local programs to provide a better quality of life for people experiencing emergencies, hardships and personal challenges.This internship grounds the intern in the opportunities and challenges of using social and digital media in the non-profit sector. The intern will be responsible for coordinating content, creating and scheduling social media campaigns, updating United Way’s website, increasing social and digital utilization, recommending new methodology and platforms, and creating videos to increase United Way’s visibility.
This internship and its responsibilities and associated hours may be modified to meet internship and practicum requirements from 450 hours to a minimum of 135.
- Orientation and training
- Target outcome: Attend one orientation session
- Target outcome: Identify potential professional development opportunities to acquire and ask for support. (Example: Excel training; public speaking; etc.)
- Target outcome: Review United Way Worldwide’s branding requirements
- Target outcome: Review social and digital presence of the 8 other United Ways of Maine
- Office assistance
- Target outcome: Become familiar with community requests by providing office assistance including answering phones and greeting people as they visit the office depending on schedule and availability. Triaging requests provides valuable insight into community needs, resources, and gaps in services as well as the operations of a non-profit.
- Spreadsheet development
- Target outcome: Utilize and fine tune existing system to track future social media postings, web stories, videos
- Target outcome: Coordinate content development with staff, volunteers, and interns
- Social and Digital Media
- Target outcome: Develop a plan for social media campaigns, including a calendar of activity
- Target outcome: Attend at least 3 UWTVA Communications and Marketing Committee meetings
- Target outcome: Maintain presence on current social and digital media platforms; facebook; Instagram; website and update content daily
- Target outcome: Create monthly Constant Contact newsletter
- Target outcome: Determine effect of digital and social media campaigns (increases in event attendance; revenue generation; increased visibility and brand awareness, etc.) Provide one page report for each campaign
- Social media research and recommendation
- Target outcome: Research current UWTVA social media platform performance and provide one page recommendation for improvement
- Target outcome: Research alternative social media options (Tumbler, Pinterest, etc.) and provide a formal written recommendation to supervisor and Communication and Marketing Committee
- Research Constant Contact
- Target outcome: Research Constant Contact best practices to improve open rate, click throughs, etc.
- Target outcome: Provide written one page report
- Video Creation
- Target outcome: Create at least one 15 second video per week to be used as a social media post and web post
- Target outcome: Create at least 3 videos that promote a United Way initiative or program. Priorities include:
- Leadership Through Growth and Service Summer Experience
- United Way Annual Campaign
- Employee Campaign Manager Training
- The Hope Fund
- Online Auction
- Research online auction platforms and make a recommendation for potential use
- Giving Tuesday
- Target outcome: Using toolkits provided, create a social media campaign for Giving Tuesday
- Special projects as assigned
- Attend United Way Communication and Marketing Committee meetings
- Attend community meetings (such as the Franklin Resource Collaborative) as assigned and available.
- Become familiar with United Way Community Investment process and United Way Community Partners to have a better understanding of community needs, and what United Way supports.
- Provide a written one-page report to site supervisor weekly.
- Meet at a scheduled time for a one-on-one meeting with site supervisor at least every two weeks (frequent interaction will also occur at the United Way office, FVN meetings, and other venues throughout the community).
- Ask questions as needed so site supervisor can provide appropriate support.
- Be passionate about meeting United Way’s mission and goals
- In depth knowledge of social media
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to talk with a variety of persons/groups
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Good research and organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Attention to detail
|Application is made through UMF’s Partnership for Civic Advancement.
|Complete and submit the Internship Application Form online.
|Return to the Internship Opportunities Listing