- Go Ask Alice
Hands down the best college health website. This site offers information on physical, emotional, sexual, and general health issues.
- Dr. Koop
Offers the latest news, in-depth features, health calculators, and support groups.
- Dr. Weil
Provides reliable information about holistic health.
- Real Age
This site features a self-assessment quiz that allows you to evaluate you health choices. Is your “real age” older or younger than you biological age?
- eCHUG Self Alcohol Evaluation
Provides accurate in depth information about alcohol and other drug addictions.
Maintained by the people from Alcoholics Anonymous, this site reviews the 12 step approach to recovery.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
This is a great site to obtain information on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. There is a great place for publications including pamphlets, and training materials.
- Smoking Policy
- Maine Tobacco-Free College Network
- Tobacco Free-U
“When you can’t breath nothing else matters.” The official website of the American Lung Association has information about tobacco, quitting smoking, and local Lung Association programs.
This site is home to the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids. They have excellent fact sheets and resources on social issues like advertising, marketing, and politics.
- Help Your Body Adjust to a Life Without Tobacco
- Testing Your Triggers When You Quit
- Losing Cigarettes Without Gaining Weight
- Tools to Help You Toss Tobacco for Good
- Where You Can Find Help at UMF
Quit smoking with thousands of people from around the country. This site offers information about smoking cessation and chat rooms so you can connect with others who are trying to quit.
- UMF Fitness and Recreation Center
The FRC is a modern fitness facility that offers weights, exercise machines, a track, pool, and personal training in a fun non-competitive environment.
- Farmington Physical Activity Resource Guide
Provides facts, information, and other resources about physical activity.
- Handicapped Accessible Fitness Facilities on Campus
- Healthy Eating 1, 2, 3 . . .
- Body Image
- Aramark menu
Check to see what’s for lunch, plan ahead for what’s the healthiest choice.
- The Center for Science in the Public Interest
Read unbiased reviews to help you sort the good from the not so good in fast food, take out, and supermarket meals.
- Food and Nutritional Information Center
Food and nutrition topics from A to Z put together by the USDA
- Fast Food Facts
A handy calculator to find nutritional information about fast food.
- National Eating Disorders Association
This site is a great site which includes information on body image, treatment, referrals, men and eating disorders, and information specifically for young girls.
- The Academy for Eating Disorders
This is a great site that covers all eating disorders
- Youth Resource Online
Youth Resource is a website for GLBTQ youth. There is a special section for rural youth.
- Coalition for Positive Sexuality
Great website covering safer sex, and having a positive outlook on sexuality in general.
- Birth Control Pills
- Tips for Taking Birth Control Pills
- Testing for HIV
- Understanding Chlamydia
- Understanding Herpes
- Understanding HPV
Emotional Health and Stress
- Center for Human Development
The CHD provides private career and personal counseling. They also offer group programs, such as stress management and body image.
A licensed clinical social worker runs this site about the dangers of stress, beliefs that contribute to stress, and helpful techniques for overcoming stress.
The American Institution of Stress briefly describes what stress is and the different kinds of stress that exist. They have informational packets on stress, a directory on stress, and other networking links.
- Focus Adolescent Services
Great site on emotional health for teens and their family’s.
- Online Dictionary of Mental Health
A great resource on all kinds of different topics.