The UMF Fitness & Recreation Center offers a 25-yd recreation pool serving all levels and abilities. Our pool is always staffed by an American Red Cross Certified Lifeguard. We offer swim lessons, pool rentals, lifeguard training, water aerobics and a variety of other aquatic activities.
The Fitness Center pool is kept at a comfortable 84 degrees +/-. Half the pool is set aside for lap swimming and has three lap lanes and two diving blocks. The other half is a designated Open Area and is set aside for free swimming, group fitness, classes, physical therapy etc.
The pool is equipped with a handicapped lift and a ramp to ensure safe and ease in entering the water. PDF’s are available for non-swimmers.
|Monday-Thursday||6:00am – 9:30pm|
|Friday||6:00am – 8:30pm|
|Saturday||8:30am – 8:30pm|
|Sunday||9:30am – 9:30pm|
Note: During holiday hours, pool opens 1/2 hour after the facility opens and closes 1/2 hour before the facility closes or 9:30pm.
Water Exercise Classes
Water exercise classes are available under the direction of the Group Fitness Program. Classes appear on both the Group Fitness Schedule and the Pool Activity Schedule. Contact the Group Fitness Director for class information.
Our pool is available for group and private rentals during our normal operating hours. Court fees are additional. Birthday Party packages are also available. A minimum for 2 business days notice is required for rentals. Please call 207-778-7437 for more information or to book a rental. Pool rentals are booked on a first-come / first-served basis.
The UMF Fitness & Rec Center Children’s Programs use the pool throughout the year. During the Spring and Fall semesters, the After School Program uses the pool weekly during the fall semester and on Fridays during the spring semester. Each child is given a swim test to gauge their swimming ability. They use the free area of the pool to play games and participate in other activities, supervised by After School Program counselors and pool lifeguards.
Our Summer Daze Camp al (so uses the pool, typically during inclement weather and also for swim assessments for Campers to determine their ability to swim outside in the rivers, lakes and oceans.
To register a child in one of these Children’s Programs, please contact Leah Brackett at email@example.com or 207-778-7138.
Pool Health Department Rules and Regulations
- All patrons or swimmers having a communicable disease or displaying signs and symptoms of a communicable disease which can be transmitted through normal swimming pool use shall be excluded. No person having a communicable disease or displaying signs and symptoms of a communicable disease shall work at any type pool in a function in which there is a likelihood that they would transmit the disease to any other person.
- Diving blocks shall not be used for any purpose other than for competitive swimming.
- Glass, sharp objects, or any other items which might cause injury or accidents shall not be allowed in the pool or pool area.
- Spitting, spouting water, blowing the nose, or discharging bodily waste in the pool is strictly prohibited.
- All persons using the swimming pool must take a shower before entering the pool enclosure.
- Persons with open blisters, cuts, etc., are advised not to use the pool.
Things you should know about special situations
Thunder and lightning – For the protection of our patrons, the pool will close at the first sight or sound of thunder or lighting but should be reopened 30 minutes after the last sight or sound.
Loss of power – The pool will close any time the facility losses power; the pool will reopen after power has been restored.
Sanitation issues – The pool will close and be treated after any contamination in alignment with state and federal laws. The length of time is dependent on the contaminate.
Emergencies – The Fitness & Rec Center staff is trained in CPR/ AED and First Aid. If there is an emergency in the facility you may be asked to exit the pool area so the lifeguard may assist in patient care as needed. If you notice an emergency in the pool area, please notify the lifeguard on duty immediately and exit the water.
For Aquatics / Pool info, contact:
Assistant Director, Fitness & Recreation Center
Manager of Aquatics & Program Supervisor
UMF Fitness & Recreation Center
University of Maine at Farmington
152 Quebec Street
Farmington, ME 04938